Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What NOT to say to the mother of a preemie

You'd think common sense would tell you that its not smart to say any of the following (all of which I've heard lately) to the mother of a premature baby (especially one who had a lot of complications...):

I was hoping to go early.

You are so lucky you missed out on the end of pregnancy discomfort.

You are lucky you never got huge.

But the baby is fine now, so its ok.

I also suggest avoiding complaining about pregnancy discomforts as well. You have no idea how desperately a preemie mom wishes she could have had the privilege of enduring any discomfort pregnancy could bring rather than staring at their baby suffering and struggling through the incubator glass for weeks (or months) on end. Seriously! People are crazy.

One person told me this weekend that after they hit the 32-week mark they were "done" and ready to have the baby. I bit my tongue and smiled and thought You have no idea how lucky you were that you didn't have him that early and went full term. I went full term with Carter. I know what its like. I'd take that 100 times over any day rather than have Bennett go through what he did.

Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Some people are just plain IDIOTIC! They are selfish and inconsiderate! Makes you wonder why they are allowed to breathe! Of course I am a very cynical person and will probably burn in hell for the things I think! The next time someone says anything like that, give it too them!

Kelly said...

Seriously! People are always saying well, at least you didn't get big so you lost the weight fast. It makes me SAD that I lost all of the weight so fast - because I barely gained any. I'm like, yeah, he was 2 freaking pounds that's why. Ugh. People are so stupid sometimes.