Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Operation Crayon was a Failure

Bennett's developmental nurse encouraged us last week to start introducing Bennett to crayons so he can work on fine motor development. For the obvious reasons (i.e. not thrilled about the idea of picking the wax out of his teeth), I've shied away from this venture.

Tonight, inspired by my BFF's allowing her 4 month old to color with markers (seriously), I decided to give Bennett a chance with crayons. The little toddler kind that are big and stuck in these plastic animals.

And what to my surprise (not) should occur?? Bennett had absolutely NO interest in coloring. He was content to do nothing more than chew on the crayons. Nice. Envision the scene - Bennett puts in mouth, I say "no no, yuck yuck" and he takes it out, gives me a longing look with those deep puppy dog eyes, and his little lip quivers, and he sticks it back in. Rinse, repeat.

Oh, how I wish I could buy more patience just for occasions such as this! No coloring occurred. Only lip quivering. Yep, big, fat failure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no not the dreaded lip quiver! I have not "mastered" how to deal with the lip quiver yet. It still makes me melt like butter and forget whatever task I want Elijah to complete! Lol!

Here's what I do in the classroom when a child does not understand what I want him or her to do- and I am steadily growing frustrated- I ask another student to sit with that student and explain the task to him/her. For SOME REASON kids have a way of showing and explaining material to other kids in a way that they understand! I don't know what it is, but it works everytime.

My suggestion is to have Carter show Bennett how to color. You can watch, but try to refrain from talking much. Let Carter do all of the talking and showing in his own way. I bet Bennett starts catching on faster. It's a bittersweet concept. On the one hand, it feels great when a child finally "gets it." On the other hand, sometimes it makes me feel a little bad that I wasn't the one to show the kid how to get it! But what matters above all else is that our children are successful regardless of how they get there (safely of course)!

Peer tutoring works everytime! :) Plus it's a self-esteem boost for both kids involved. These are the moments when older siblings get to shine and feel good. There are so many times when older siblings are not the center of attention anymore due to a younger sibling. This is one of many opportunities for them to feel really good about helping their sibling. Everyone wins!

Don't be discouraged if the "peer tutoring" doesn't work 100% the first time. It takes a few attempts, but it will work- I promise! :) Love you all!!!

Lizzie said...

really awesome advice melissa